CASTLES AND PALACES

Bookmark
Like
Dislike
Follow
Share

About

Banffy Castle from Bonțida


Banffy Castle from Bonțida is one of the representative architectural monuments for the Transylvanian Baroque, the richness of elements specific to this architectural style bringing it the name of “Versaille of Transylvania”. It was built by Banffy Family in Bonțida commune, locality found at approx. 30 km East from Cluj-Napoca. The main buildings of the palace are dominated by Renaissance architectural elements, with extensions in Baroque style having been made in the 18th century.


Bánffy Castle from Răscruci


The Bánffy Castle in Răscruci, Bonțida commune, was built at the end of the 18th century and has been included in the list of historical monuments in Romania since 2010, being part of the heritage of the Cluj County Council. The castle was built in an eclectic neoclassical style, being surrounded by a park. The current form of the Răscruci domain is the work of Baron Ádám Bánffy. Currently, the edifice has been transformed into a cultural reference point, representative of Transylvania, also able to host cultural-artistic events.

Wass-Bánffy Castle from Gilău


In the Middle Ages, the Gilău domain was owned by the Bishopric of Transylvania, and the town – formed near the Roman fortress – was one of the bishop’s residences. The medieval fortress of Gilău is mentioned in documents from the year 1428, during the time of bishop Gheorghe Lépes. From the time of Bishop Ladislau Geréb (1479-1502), the cousin of King Matthias Corvinus (1458-1490), have been preserved the first elements of artistic value of the episcopal residence in Gilău. In 1874 the castle was bought by Bernat Rosenberger. He is responsible for the renovation and reconstruction of the castle after the fire from 1861. In 1911 it was bought by Countess Ecaterina Bánffy. She owned it until its nationalization in 1948.



The Roman fort at Gilău


Beneath the Renaissance complex and the 19th-century gardens of the Wass-Bánffy Castle in Gilău, lie the remains of a Roman military fortification—the Gilău auxiliary fort—and the civilian settlement that developed around it. The fortification was originally constructed of earth and timber in the early 2nd century AD and later rebuilt in stone, remaining in use until the second half of the 3rd century AD. Located just 16 km from the Roman city of Napoca, the fort was the nearest military base to the city and played a direct role in its protection.

The initial garrison was most likely an infantry unit consisting of approximately 500 soldiers. At this stage, the fortification covered an area of ​​about 1.5 hectares. Early in Emperor Hadrian’s reign, the infantry was replaced by a cavalry unit, necessitating an expansion of the enclosure to approximately 3 hectares. In the final phase, the enclosure was rebuilt in stone, featuring a wall 1.20 meters wide.

The archaeological discoveries are remarkable: military diplomas, inscriptions, numerous pieces of weaponry and military equipment – notable among them is a cavalry helmet mask used in parades – glass and bronze vessels, luxury ceramics, brooches and ítems of adornment, as well as medical and surgical instruments.



Ciucea Castle


In 1919, the poet Octavian Goga buys from the poet Ady Endre's widow the estate from Ciucea, located at 80 km from Cluj-Napoca. On this estate, at the end of the 19th century, Ady Endre built a neo-Gothic castle. Between 1921 and 1926, Octavian Goga fundamentally modifies the architectural design by adding Brâncoveanu style elements. Today Ciucea Castle hosts Octavian Goga Memorial Museum.

Banffy Palace


In Unirii Square from Cluj-Napoca is found the most important architectural monument in Baroque style from Transylvania. It was built between 1774 and 1785 by the Governor Gheorghe Banffy. The main facade is an impressive one and keeps the coat of arms of the nobiliary family – the gryphon with sword and crown bordered by two other gryphons. Among the guests of the palace have been the Emperor Francisc I, Queen Karolina and Franz Lizt. Starting with 1951, the palace houses the collections of the Art Museum from Cluj-Napoca.

The Palace of Justice


The Palace of Justice is an eclectic style building built between 1900 and 1902, on the corner between Calea Dorobontilor and Stefan Cel Mare Square. There are two entrances: one through the northern facade and the other through the western one. They each display a portico at the entrances, made of four Doric columns which support a balcony found on the first floor.

The Administrative Palace


The Administrative Palace was built in 1910 in Secession style. It was initially built as a head office for the Chamber of Commerce and Industry from Cluj. In the period following the 2nd world war it functioned as City Hall, County Head Office for the Romanian Communist Party, head office for Cluj County Council and today it is the head office of the Prefecture from Cluj County.

Szeky Palace


Szeky Palace is found in the North-western corner of Mihai Viteazul Square and it was built in 1893 by Miklos Szeky, a famous pharmacist from Cluj. The edifice is one of the modern architectural monuments from Cluj, designed by the architect Samu Pecz in neo-Gothic style.

Rhedey Palace


Rhedey Palace or the “House with chains” is located at the corner of Unirii Square with Napoca Street. The houses of many patricians of the city were located here even from the 16th century. In the 18th century this house becomes the property of Rhedey family, together with several buildings from Napoca street and are united under one facade. In 1972 the first permanent Hungarian theatre founded at Cluj-Napoca was opened in the palace ballroom.

City Hall Palace


The City Hall Palace was built between 1896 and 1897 after the plans of architect Ignac Alparsia and it was the head office of Cluj County. It is an impressive building, designed in eclectic style, in the shape of the letter “L”, with small side, length of approx. 47 m, being the most representative. On this side is found the main entrance in the edifice, the largest side being used for the offices of the administrative personnel.

Matthias Corvinus House


Matthias Corvinus House is the only building from the 15th century, which is found in the initial form. It is a Gothic building which was built by merging three houses, the ogival gate being the defining architectural element which classifies it in this style. According to the tradition, Matthias, King of Hungary, son of John Hunyadi, was born in this house.

Published · Updated

More like this

Crafted on Eventya
Cluj Tourism App AI Assistant
Hi! I'm Cluj Tourism App's AI assistant. How can I help?
AI-generated content may be inaccurate. ·